I have 5 frozen containers of tofu in my freezer, after I giving 2 away I'm left to come up with 3 dishes. I'm still a tofu-newbie, but WIC gives us 8 packages a month so I am upping my skills (Yes! WIC gives tofu AND soymilk if you get a Dr's note).
Anywho, I had defrosted a package of tofu and was pressing it in between my cutting boards with some cans on top. One of those cans happened to be coconut milk...
|Tofu and vegetables simmering in coconut milk|
8 oz package of extra-firm tofu
1c canned coconut milk
1 1/2c (+) mixed vegetables
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp soy sauce
1c quinoa (pre-cooked)
Dash of chili powder (add more to increase spiciness)
- Press tofu between paper towels & two plates to get excess water out for 30 minutes.Then cube (lucky me mine came pre-cubed!)
- Add tahini & olive oil into skillet (or wok if you've got it like that)
- Sauté vegetables 2-4 minutes (or until thawed out if using frozen vegetables).
- Add cubed/pressed tofu to pan tossing in oil.
- Add coconut milk, soy sauce and chili powder. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon remove tofu and vegetables.
- Stir quinoa into leftover coconut milk and remove from heat.
|Ready to eat.|
-If you want to cook more quinoa simply increase the amount of coconut milk you add.
-I cook the quinoa and tofu/vegetables separately because I've found that they keep longer that way and I can always use the quinoa in another dish.
-When reheating I added a little leftover coconut milk and reheated it in the skillet rather than microwaving.