Friday, September 7, 2012

Sweet Potato Tahnini Burgers

I seriously have been cooking up a storm lately. It might be to keep myself busy (although MJ is pretty good at doing that) or it might be because we have a house guest, which means finally another adult who is a willing taste-tester to my kitchen creativity. I only trust MJ's opinion as far as I can trust a 1 year old (although we usually agree on what recipes have failed and succeeded). Anywhoo, I am cooking at a rate that my fridge is constantly packed with leftovers and I cook more than I can blog about, but this is a recipe we all loved and didn't make it past a day in the fridge. I had sweet potatoes on deck and adapted a great recipe! Now that I think about it as soon as I finish this blog post I am going to run to the kitchen and make some more. Mmm...blogging has me working up an appetite.

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato
2 cans pinto beans
2 tbsp tahini (can substitute peanut butter)
2 tsp agave
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
dash of cayenne
1/4 cup wheat flour

panko crumbs (I used almost the whole box, so you need a lot!)
coconut oil

A little help mashing from our friend Morgan

Directions:

  • Bake sweet potato on a cookie pan for 35 minutes at 450 or until soft.
  • Peel & mash in a bowl.
  • Mash drained beans into sweet potato.
  • Add seasonings and flour and mash together.
  • Mixture should be soft, but able to form patties. If necessary add extra flour.
  • Coat patties in breadcrumbs.
  • Add oil to the pan and cook patties until browned on both sides.
  • Let cool.
  • Then devour.


Pan frying (L: done on one side, R: uncooked)


MJ's burger topped with a little mashed avocado

Grown-up burger: On a whole wheat sandwich thin with Romaine, sliced Avocado, Honey Dijon & Sriracha.

No comments:

Post a Comment