Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sweet Potato Biscuits

I had one large sweet potato left from my last big farmer's market trip and after using half for more overnight oatmeal I had to decide between making sweet potato biscuits or pancakes. Somehow I was just so intrigued with the idea of sweet potato biscuits that I knew I had to look for a recipe. I altered the original recipe slightly and came up with some pretty tasty biscuits that can be paired with sweet or savory, but we ate them by themselves. These were a household favorite and I would definitely double the recipe next time. 12 biscuits wasn't enough!

Adapted from My Vegan Cookbook


Rolled Out Dough
 Ingredients (Makes 12 biscuits)
1/2c baked sweet potato
3/4c almond milk
1 1/4c whole wheat flour
3/4c spelt flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp canola oil


Our friend helping us cut out the biscuits.


One sheet going in to bake.

 Directions

  • Bake sweet potato and mash.
  • Mix together almond milk and vinegar in a small bowl and let sit to curdle.
  • Mix together dry ingredients.
  • Puree/blend sweet potato and almond milk mixture.
  • Add sweet potato blend to dry ingredients.
  • Add oil to dough and hands, then kneed.
  • Spread dough out on floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness.
  • Cut dough into circles with a cookie cutter (or a cup like we did)
  • Bake in oven on 350 for 12-15 minutes or until browned on top.






Ready to Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment