Monday, March 5, 2012

Meals for the Week

We didn't go grocery shopping this weekend, so I found a breakfast and lunch recipe close to what produce we had leftover and tweaked them it a bit and dinner is an easy stand-by with a grain. New foods of the week are pineapple, which will be incorporated through juicing, and coconut milk.

Breakfast: Sweet Potato & Oatmeal Pancakes

I scoured the internet (well did a quick 5 minute search) and couldn't find a pancake mix that incorporated the ingredients I wanted and didn't include ingredients that MJ isn't eating (milk, eggs, wheat, excessive sugar), so I fudged my own recipe and it didn't turn out too bad. I'll include notes on adjustments I plan to make next time around though.

Ingredients:
1 baked sweet potato
1 cup of oat flour (Easily made by throwing some oats into the food processor)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
Coconut milk added as needed

I mixed all the ingredients to a pancake mix consistency.



Added a very small amount of coconut oil to the skillet and cooked pancakes on low



Added raisins to a couple for fun.



Finished product ready to be frozen.

First Samples: Mine with water, MJ's with coconut milk





This recipe yielded about 8 small pancakes, although MJ and I each had one so now there are enough to last til Saturday. He wasn't a big fan of the raisins so I'm glad I only put them in a couple. I will most likely top with pureed blueberry or applesauce.

Note: Next time I plan on adding more liquid to thin the mixture because oat flour is pretty dense and the first couple pancakes I had trouble gauging when the insides were done because the outsides browned pretty quickly even on low, but the insides were not thoroughly cooked. I also had no other  sweetener aside from honey, which isn't safe for babies, but next time I would probably prefer to use maple syrup--yum!

Lunch: Brussels Sprouts and Portobello Mushroom Soup
adapted from this recipe

Replacements: Portobello Mushroom instead of Shiitakes
Cannellini beans instead of Great Northern




Chopped Brussels Sprouts, Portobello Mushrooms, Onion, Garlic


Sauteed in olive oil



Added rice, vegetable broth, water, spices





Simmered for 40 min

Done when rice has cooked

Added beans

Done.

After being food processed--ready to eat.

 Pop it in the food processor for easier eating for the toothless. MJ sampled it and liked it, so this seems like a good Brussels Sprouts recipe for him.

Dinner: Kale Chips and Barley

Look at this delicious kale....yum. Now chop off the stems.

Add a little olive oil & spices. Pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

Kale chips! So easy!!
 Realistically between MJ & my own snacking on these they won't last. So either I'll make more or go the healthy route and give him steamed kale once the chips are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment