Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday Cooking

After a long weekend away from home, I come back and even though I'm feeling tired & lazy I definitely need to make MJ some food for the week. No way am I going shopping so using what's in the fridge and cabinets here's what we have.

This week's Menu:

Breakfast: Cinnamon Oatmeal with Pineapple Chunks



Last week pineapples were buy one get one free! So after juicing one last week I had another one left. So that paired with some oatmeal is a very quick and easy breakfast.

Lunch: Mashed Garlic Potatoes & Cauliflower

Ingredients:
-8 russet potatoes
-1 head of cauliflower 
-2 garlic cloves
-16 oz vegetable broth

Literally there are literally 3 large ziplock bags of cauliflower in the freezer from the time that MJ loved cauliflower and then 2 weeks later I stocked up and he no longer liked it. Babies I tell ya. Anyway, with half a bag of potatoes I could easily conceal them in some mashed potatoes for a hearty and healthy lunch.

Steamed cauliflower

Potatoes cooked in vegetable broth & then mashed.

Pureeing the cauliflower instead of mashing makes the potatoes creamy.

Combine. Yum :)


 Let's see if I can trick MJ's not-so-vegetable loving dad?

Dinner: Black Bean Collard Wrap

I've been wanting to make collard wraps for myself for a while, but it just hasn't happened. I tried them out this week to turn into "bites" for MJ and maybe make a couple for myself as well.

First, I thoroughly rinsed the leaves. Then I partially de-stemmed them. This was my first time doing that and some turned out better than others.
Attempt at de-stemming

Simmered collard green leaves in vegetable broth until flexible but not easy to tear (about 6 min)

Ready to wrap with spiced Black beans, rice, green peppers and carrots.

First wrap.

All 10.
*The tricky part of this will actually be figuring out how to feed these to MJ!

Ingredients:
-10 large partially de-stemmed collard leaves
-2 cans of Black beans
-1 c brown ric
-1 green pepper
-2 carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment