Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Cooking

Usually Sunday is when I prepare meals for the week for MJ. There are some things that I make on the fly (like bananas, avocado, etc.) but most other meals I store in the fridge/freezer for the week.

Today I cooked while jamming to my "Burnin in the Kitchen" playlist and was finished cooking with only dishes left to do by the time the playlist ended. (So approximately an hour and 15 minutes worth of work---not bad right??).

Burnin in the Kitchen by Stephanie Alishia on Grooveshark




Prep: Rinse all vegetables, slice Brussels Sprouts, slice zucchinis, rinse beans, rinse quinoa

Chopped zuchinni perfect for toothless chewing.

I don't cook zucchini ahead of time because it doesn't freeze well (in my opinion), but I chopped it for quick 2-3 minute steaming before the meal.


Cooking: Bake sweet potatoes, roast Brussels Sprouts, slow cook beans with low sodium vegetable broth and spices, cook quinoa in low sodium vegetable broth.

Sweet potatoes going into the oven.


Brussels Sprouts going in to roast.
Kidney beans starting to simmer

Red kidney beans & sweet potatoes

The chunks looked a little too big so I threw it in the food processor for a few seconds.


I adapted this recipe  Red Kidney Bean Chili with Sweet Potatoes
(I made necessary adaptations to fit MJ's dietary restrictions, but did use the suggested combination of spices which was DELICIOUS!)


Storing: Store each item separately to allow for additional meal combinations through the week. I left food for 2-3 days in the fridge and froze the rest for later in the week.

8 servings of Brussels Sprouts (2 in the fridge & 6 in the freezer)

Kidney Bean & Sweet Potato Chili (1 container in fridge & 2 in freezer)

Lunch & dinner for the week: 14+ meals (L-R quinoa, chopped zucchini, Brussels Sprouts, red kidney bean & sweet potato chili)


Surprise! I have enough Brussels Sprouts left over for me to eat or juice throughout the week AND 1 sweet potato was enough for the chili, so I had extra left over for finger food.

Leftover Uncooked Brussels Sprouts

Finger Food!


Cleaning: Not a lot of dishes huh?



Did he like it??

MJ waiting for his Chili & Brown Rice

All done! (and he demanded seconds)

1 comment: